Job Code Title: ASSOCIATE JOINT OPERATIONS OFFICER
Department/Office: FIELD MISSIONS ADMINISTERED BY DPKO
Duty Station: MOGADISCIO
Posting Period: 09 December 2015 – 15 December 2015
Job Opening Number: 52293
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
- This is a Temporary Job Opening for an initial period of six (6) months, with the possibility of extension.A current staff member who holds a fixed-term, permanent or continuing appointment may apply for temporary positions no more than one level above his or her current grade. However, a current staff member who holds an appointment at the G-6 or G-7 level may also apply to temporary positions in the Professional category up to and including the P-3 level, subject to meeting all eligibility and other requirements for the position. A staff member holding a temporary appointment shall be regarded as an external candidate when applying for other positions, and may apply for other temporary positions at any level, subject to section 5.7 below and staff rule 4.16 (b) (ii). Therefore, a staff member holding a temporary appointment in the General Service or related categories may only apply to positions within those categories. For full information on eligibility requirements, please refer to section 5 of ST/AI/2010/4Rev.1 on Temporary Appointments. In its resolution 66/234, the General Assembly further ‘stressed that the Secretary-General should not recur to the practice of temporarily filling posts in the Professional and higher categories with General Service staff members who have not passed the General Service to Professional category examination other than on an exceptional basis, and requests the Secretary-General to ensure that temporary occupation of such posts by the General Service staff shall not exceed a period of one year, effective 1 January 2013…’ Consequently, eligible candidates in the General Service or related categories for temporary job openings in the Professional category that have not passed the competitive examination may be selected only on an exceptional basis endorsed by the Office of Human Resources Management where no other suitable candidate could be identified.
- Upon separation from service, including, but not limited to, expiration or termination of, or resignation from, a fixed-term, continuing or permanent appointment, a former staff member will be ineligible for re-employment on the basis of a temporary appointment for a period of 31 days following the separation. In the case of separation from service on retirement, a former staff member will be ineligible for re-employment for a period of three months following the separation. This equally applies, mutatis mutandis, with respect to a former or current staff member who has held or holds an appointment in another entity applying the United Nations Staff Regulations and Rules and who applies for a temporary position with the Secretariat.
- Subject to the funding source of the position, this temporary job opening may be limited to candidates based at the duty station.
- While this temporary assignment may provide the successful applicant with an opportunity to gain new work experience, the selection for this position is for a limited period and has no bearing on the future incumbency of the post. An external candidate selected for this position is bound by the prevailing condition of the staff selection system under ST/AI/2010/3, as amended, and ST/AI/2010/4/Rev.1. A staff member holding a temporary appointment who is recruited in the Professional and above categories on a temporary appointment, and placed on a position authorized for one year or longer may not apply for or be reappointed to his/her current position within six months of the end of his/her current service. This provision does not apply to staff members holding temporary appointments and placed on positions authorized for one year or more in duty stations authorized for peacekeeping operations or special political missions.
- The expression ‘Internal candidates’, shall mean staff members who have been recruited after a competitive examination under staff rule 4.16 or after the advice of a central review body under staff rule 4.15.
- Please note that candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
- For information on special post allowance, please refer to ST/AI/1999/17. For more details on the administration of temporary appointments please refer to ST/AI/2010/4/Rev.1.
- The Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and administrative issuances governing staff appointments can be viewed at: http://www.un.org/hr_handbook/English
This is a Temporary Job Opening for an initial period of six (6) months, with the possibility of extension.Organizational Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the special political mission of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM), Coherence and Effectiveness Group (CEG), Integrated Information Hub (IIH) and based in Mogadishu. The Associate Joint Operations Officer reports to the Deputy Chief IIH.
Within limits of delegated authority, and under the supervision of the Deputy Chief IIH the P-2 Associate Joint Operations Officer will be responsible for, but not limited to, the performance of the following duties
- Prepare, collate and disseminate IIH products in a timely manner, including regularly scheduled daily and weekly mission situation reports, and ad-hoc reports such as special incident reports;
- Seek and maintain a high degree of situational awareness and understanding of events, developments and trends in the mission area, including through effective cooperation, coordination and information sharing, using both formal and informal means, with counterparts within the UN system, with the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and with other international organisations and NGOs;
- Under Deputy Chief IIH supervision, support UNSOM crisis response (activity reporting and monitoring), enabling senior mission leadership to make informed decisions during periods of a declared crisis situation;
- Under Deputy Chief IIH supervision, support implementation of operations coordination and planning functions, where applicable.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements.
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter.
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns.
- Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges.
- Remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Good knowledge of hardware and software of information technology infrastructure;
- understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; familiar with the use of databases;
- actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks;
- shows willingness to learn new technology
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in International Relations or a related subject is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with other relevant academic qualifications and/or experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in political affairs, civil affairs, humanitarian affairs, human rights, public information/journalism, military, police, security, crisis operations and management, or related field.
- Professional experience preparing summary and analytical reports on political and/or security issues is required.
- Experience working at the international level is required.
- Experience working on conflict-related issues is desirable.
- Experience working in a conflict or post-conflict situation is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the UN Secretariat. For this position fluency in English (both oral and written) is required.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an interview.
United Nations Considerations
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs. (Charter of the United Nations – Chapter 3, article 8). The United Nations Secretariat is a non-smoking environment.
Candidates will be required to meet the requirements of Article 101, paragraph 3, of the Charter as well as the requirements of the position. The United Nations is committed to the highest standards of efficiency, competence and integrity for all its human resources, including but not limited to respect for international human rights and humanitarian law. Candidates may be subject to screening against these standards, including but not limited to whether they have committed, or are alleged to have committed criminal offences and/or violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law.
- 14 Nov 2015Psychosocial Counselor – ARC 2 Comments
- 23 Nov 2015Project Management Specialist (Somalia-FFP) – USAID 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational center trainer (midwifery) 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational training center manager 2 Comments
- 22 Nov 2015Consultancy for the training on Conflict Mediation and Resolution for districts, villages and the Gurti in Bakool Region 1 Comment
- 14 Nov 2015Parliamentary Strengthening Specialist -SSG 1 Comment
- 14 Nov 2015Head of Office – ACTED 1 Comment
- 19 Nov 2015Behavior Change Coordinator – World Vision 1 Comment
- 23 Nov 2015Pharmacist (1 position)- Somali Aid 1 Comment
- 19 Nov 2015TRAINING AND BEST PRACTICES FOR NEW ENTREPRENEURS – INTERSOS 1 Comment