INSO seeks to recruit a Deputy Director of Research and Analysis to join its Somalia Mission team in Nairobi.
The Deputy Director of Research and Analysis will be responsible for the Research and Analysis component of INSO Somalia country office.
The main purpose of this position is to:
- Provide an objective overview of security trends and issues, with specific focus on Somalia context
- Organise relevant collection of information
- Deliver high quality and added value security and geopolitical analysis reports and briefs to NGOs operating in Somalia
- Support NGOs operating in Somalia during crisis management
INSO Somalia, formerly known as NSP, seeks to address the growing challenge of safety in the NGO community in Somalia through the provision of specialised, coordinated and focused safety management support. It recognises the insecure operating environment all NGOs face in Somalia and the collective value of enhancing safety preparedness and support. The project provides the NGO community with its own safety focal point and tailored safety support services through 3 main services: Research & Analysis (provision of regular reports, safety risk assessments and briefings); Capacity building (provision of various trainings); and Response (provision of support to crisis management in response to critical incidents).
At global level, INSO supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure context. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff operations and training. INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the management of the Information and Analysis team, with a clear understanding of the pressures associated with operating in hostile environments (recruitment, appraisal, work plan, authorization of movement, missions orders, leave request disciplinary measures etc..)
- Responsible for the capacity building of the Information and Analysis team.
- Responsible for the logistics and financial needs of the Information and Analysis team in link with the Somalia Country Administration Manager
Research and Analysis
- Responsible for the general organisation of the data and information gathering structure, in collaboration with the Somalia Country Director (geographic coverage organisation, reliability assessment, credibility of information)
- Supervise the sourcing, processing and analysing of complex information for the production of regular safety reports (daily reports, bi-weekly reports, quarterlies, annual reports) for an NGO audience
- Responsible for ensuring those reports have high quality standards (writing, presentation, reference notes)
- Responsible for the production of in-depth reports (identifying trends in the current Somali context, providing lessons learnt from incidents occurrence and projections based on referenced historical and current information)
- Propose and produce specific advisories to NGOs in collaboration with the Somalia Country Director
- Responsible for maintaining and developing the Incident tracking database and propose new services relevant to NGOs based on this database
- Propose and develop a map production strategy to illustrate various reports and briefs in collaboration with the Somalia Country Director
- Propose and produce area briefings papers, best practices handbooks, position papers and other proposed supporting documents to NGOs in collaboration with the Programme Manager
- Organise and facilitate bi-weekly briefings for NGOs
- Travel to Somalia to gather information and train field based staff
- Maintain a regular information network (UN, governments, traditional leaders, NGOs etc.)
- Initiate and maintain contact with safety documentation, analysis and training initiatives in other countries and regions in order to monitor ‘state-of-the-art’ developments and integrate new procedures into the Somali context.
- Collaborate with the Information and Analysis Unit for best use of knowledge
Training and response:
- Participate in the training of NGOs in collaboration with the Training Manager upon request
- Respond to requests for Safety Risk Assessments
- NGO crisis management support
- Participate proactively in defining INSO’s strategy
- Participate in the drafting of proposals based on that strategy
- Follow-up on the action plan based on the strategy and report against it
- Participate in the development of the institutional memory of INSO
- Participate in senior management team meetings, staff meetings, analysis meetings and other relevant internal meetings
- Drafting of donor reports
- Regularly brief and share information / analysis with other team members
- Excellent English writing and verbal skills
- Excellent listening and communication skills. Proven ability to communicate in a timely and efficient manner appropriate to the audience. Ability to convey complex matters in easy to understand terms. Demonstrated ability to make clear and articulate presentations from complex information
- Demonstrated leadership capacity and ability to maintain and motivate staff in a remote management environment
- Proven ability to be flexible and work well under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong IT skills. Advanced knowledge in Microsoft applications and use of relevant software and other applications (e.g. databases)
- Deep and clear understanding of humanitarian principles, codes of conduct and sub-sector work linked to INGO field operational contexts
Qualifications & Experience (Desirable)
- University degree, preferably a Masters in a relevant field such as Social Sciences, Political Sciences or International Development or a related field
- In-depth knowledge of, or work experience in post-conflict and / or complex emergency environment with proven experience in, knowledge of, and interest in Somalia
- Demonstrated practical experience in security information analysis and management in a relevant organisational setting
- Proven experience in high-quality production of reports and analytical papers
- Minimum 10 years of work experience
- Minimum of 4 years experience with non-profit organisations, NGOs or UN humanitarian agencies, with proven capabilities in planning, organising and executing operations in the field
- Minimum of 3 years of work experience in a senior management position, preferably in an NGO
- Minimum of 3 years of living, working and operating in hostile environments
- Proven experience in development and maintenance of multi-stakeholder networks
Other Preferred Characteristics (which will give an advantage):
- Knowledge of (and previous experience with) ArcGIS
- Knowledge of Somalia
- Experience in training and mentoring roles
We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, irrespective of age, nationality, race, gender or age.
Availability: January 2016.
Duty station: Nairobi, Kenya with frequent travel to field offices in Somalia. The selected candidate must adhere to all safety precautions and contribute to the safety of the team.
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates who meet the above requirements should send their applications online firstname.lastname@example.org, to be received not later than 7 January, 2015. Your application should clearly be titled “Deputy Director of Research and Analysis – SOMALIA” and should include the following:
- A cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-2 pages)
- An updated CV (max 2 pages)
- Contact information for three work-related referees
- A relevant and substantive writing sample in English, which demonstrates your analytical and reporting abilities (5-10 pages). Applications received without writing sample will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. INSO is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational center trainer (midwifery) 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational training center manager 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Psychosocial Counselor – ARC 2 Comments
- 23 Nov 2015Project Management Specialist (Somalia-FFP) – USAID 2 Comments
- 21 Nov 2015Consultant for undertaking the Local Labour Market Survey 1 Comment
- 22 Nov 2015Consultancy for the training on Conflict Mediation and Resolution for districts, villages and the Gurti in Bakool Region 1 Comment
- 14 Nov 2015Parliamentary Strengthening Specialist -SSG 1 Comment
- 14 Nov 2015Head of Office – ACTED 1 Comment
- 19 Nov 2015Behavior Change Coordinator – World Vision 1 Comment
- 23 Nov 2015Pharmacist (1 position)- Somali Aid 1 Comment