Under the auspices of The Somali Compact 2014 – 2016 that was agreed in September 2013 and the United Nations Somalia Integrated Strategic Framework 2014 – 2016 signed with the Federal Government on 29 October 2014, the Somalia Joint Rule of Law Programme (‘the Programme’) has been developed. The Programme is designed to support the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) in achieving the Somali Compact Peace-building and State-building Goals (PSGs) 2 Security (Policing component) and 3 Justice, which identifies the strategic objectives of establishing unified, capable, accountable and rights-based Somali federal security institutions providing basic safety and security for all; and establishing independent and accountable justice institutions capable of addressing the justice needs of the people of Somalia by delivering justice for all.
The Programme is founded on the Somalia Rule of Law Programme Priorities which were developed by the PSG 2 and 3 Working Groups and endorsed by the Somali Development and Reconstruction Facility (SDRF) Steering Committee on 31 August 2014 as a thematic priority for part of the initial funding pipeline for the UN Multi-Partner Trust Fund (UN MPTF). The programme adopts the thematic approach of rule of law for support to police, justice and corrections and builds on previous support provided to rule of law, and in particular the progress already under the Somali Compact as reported by PSG 2 and 3 Working Groups and discussed in Copenhagen in November 2014.
The Programme represents a joint approach by the United Nations Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) and the UN Country Team to strengthen collaboration, focus and coherence to support the implementation of the Somalia Rule of Law Programme Priorities. The Programme builds on the positive gains, experience, expertise and added value of relevant UN partners under the Global Focal Point Arrangement to advance rule of law and constitutes a key landmark to maximize impact of UN interventions, minimize overlapping activities and maximize UN MPTF resources and know-how of the UN to “deliver as one” to enhance justice and security for all Somalis. The Programme framework ensures that collective UN action to enhance rule of law retains capacity building, gender equality and human rights principles as cross-cutting issues of this approach as outlined in the Somali Compact
The Programme will rely on coordination with and between different national counterparts, while supporting the Compact principle that development efforts are “Somali-owned, Somali-led”. It will also maintain interactive partnerships with UN MPTF donors and other partner to make better use of the limited available resources.
To provide overall financial support to the project, and ensure effective financial management of the project, a Project Finance Officer will hired. S/he will be reporting directly to the Project Management Specialist. He/she will work in close collaboration with the UNDP operations and programme and RoL project staff, Government officials, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society, contributing to successful UNDP project implementation. The incumbent will promote a client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rulesDescription of Responsibilities :
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to the financial resources management of the Rule of Law Project finances;
- Support to implementation of research mobilization strategy;
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the country office.
Ensures efficient financial resources management of RoL project finances, focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- In liaison with the Project Management Specialist, and with support from the FMRU, prepare budgets and budget revisions as required;
- Update and initiate processing of project financial entries in ATLAS;
- Ensure transmission of project financial data for inclusion in ATLAS;
- Implementation of control records such as commitments and expenditures;
- Review of financial reports from partners and sub-contractors;
- Preparation of project budgets as well as budget revisions; review of non-PO vouchers for project inputs and put in ATLAS;
- Creation of requisition in ATLAS for project inputs, making budget checks on ATLAS for requisitions, POs and vouchers;
- Timely corrected actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers;
- Maintenance of internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ATLAS;
- Reconcile the records of payments with activities and recommends new disbursements;
- Provision of researched information, reports for audit exercises;
- Proper control of supporting documents for UNDP payments;
- Monthly expenditures tracking in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas; travel claims and other entitlements are duly processed;
- In charge of NEX reporting requirements, and advances;
- Finance business processes mapping and elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with office management;
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, and policies of financial activities recording/reporting systems; follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
Provides support to implementation of research mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following result:
- Tracking and reporting on mobilized resources;
- Review of contributions agreement;
- Managing contributions on ATLAS;
- Monitoring of cost sharing contributions;
- Advice to project staff on different donor reporting requirements, monitoring of financial reports to donors.
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the Country Office focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the government counter parts and project staff;
- Synthesis of the lessons learnt and best practices in the project regarding financial management;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the overall performance of the Rule of Law Project and of the Governance Programme Unit and success in implementation of project and programme strategies. Accurate analysis, appropriate and efficient management of tasks, as well as sensitivity to a diverse cultural environment will impact on the results.Competencies :
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things;
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position;
- Ability to formulate and manage budgets; manage contributions and investments; manage transactions; and conduct financial analysis, reporting and cost-recovery;
- Possesses knowledge of organizational policies and procedures and applies them consistently in work tasks;
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals;
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Sound knowledge of financial rules and regulations, accounting.
Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Make recommendations relative to work-processing approaches and procedures which would lead to more efficient systems design.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management:
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems;
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of web based systems;
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system.
Leadership and Self-Management:
- Focuses on results for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
- Ability to supervise and train support staff;
- Ability to participate effectively in team-based information sharing environment;
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks on time;
- High client service orientation and initiative to solve problem, excellent analytical and communication skills;
- Ensures high quality and accuracy of work;
- Executes processes and transactions with a results-oriented approach;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.Qualifications :
- Advance University degree (Masters) in Business Administration, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field;
- First level university degree in related fields with 2 years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 2 years relevant work experience in the area of finance, administration and programme/project management is required;
- Experience in usage of ATLAS is desirable;
- Experience in the usage of computer software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and web based management systems.
- Fluency in English and Somali with good written and oral skills.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application by visiting: http://jobs.undp.org/ orhttp://jobs.undp.org/cj_view_job.cfm?cur_job_id=62639 Closing date: 06 Jan 2016.
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational center trainer (midwifery) 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational training center manager 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Psychosocial Counselor – ARC 2 Comments
- 23 Nov 2015Project Management Specialist (Somalia-FFP) – USAID 2 Comments
- 21 Nov 2015Consultant for undertaking the Local Labour Market Survey 1 Comment
- 22 Nov 2015Consultancy for the training on Conflict Mediation and Resolution for districts, villages and the Gurti in Bakool Region 1 Comment
- 14 Nov 2015Parliamentary Strengthening Specialist -SSG 1 Comment
- 14 Nov 2015Head of Office – ACTED 1 Comment
- 19 Nov 2015Behavior Change Coordinator – World Vision 1 Comment
- 23 Nov 2015Pharmacist (1 position)- Somali Aid 1 Comment