HEAD OF MISSION SUPPORT
The African Union, established as a unique Pan African continental body, is charged with spearheading Africa’s rapid integration and sustainable development by promoting unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation among the peoples of Africa and African States as well as developing a new partnership worldwide. Its Headquarters is located in Addis Ababa, capital city of Ethiopia.
Grade: D11. POST: Job Title: Head: Mission Support AMISOM
Section: Mission Support
Reports to: Special Representative of the Chairperson of the Commission (SRCC)
Duty Station : Mogadishu, Somalia
2. JOB PURPOSE
The Head Mission Support reports to the SRCC and is responsible for planning and implementing all mission support/administrative sections of the mission. The Head of Mission Support ensures the provision and efficient use of all mission material requirements and provides logistical and administrative support required to all mission components. Within delegated authority, the Head of Mission Support shall be responsible for the following functions
3. MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contribute to the implementation of the mission mandate by providing the necessary managerial, logistical and administrative support required for the fulfillment of the mandate, including such areas as human resources management, logistics, communications, transport, air operations, supply, movement, etc.;
- Advise the SRCC on all matters pertaining to administrative and logistical support;
- Plan, organise, implement, manage and oversee the activities of all administrative and logistical support operations;
- Ensure effective management of human, financial and material resources of the mission;
- Identify broad strategies required for the development and implementation of the mission support’s work programme;
- Establish a set of sound policies, procedures, practices, standards and tools that are consistent with AU regulations, rules, policies and practice in order to ensure proper financial and human resources and asset management and control;
- Liaise, negotiate and coordinate with national authorities with respect to administrative and logistical matters;
- Ensure cooperation and integration of administrative and logistical resources with military, police and civilian elements of the mission as required;
- Provide guidance, support and supervision to administrative and logistics support staff as well as audit and evaluation services, as appropriate;
- Ensure the provision of guidance, performance evaluation, supervision and mentoring to all administrative support and other staff in the areas of his/her responsibility;
- Represent the mission before legislative bodies, providing information and clarification in support of budget proposals and expenditures related to the areas of responsibility;
- Serve as a member of the Mission Senior Leadership Team and Mission Management Team;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the SRCC.
A University Master’s Degree in business or public administration, finance, accounting, law, social sciences or related fields. . A higher qualification would be and added advantage
5. WORK EXPERIENCES REQUIRED
A minimum of Fifteen (15) years of progressively working experience responsible for Human Resources management, Administration, Logistics, Financial management and budgeting Operations, or related field.
6. KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- Ability to provide seasoned effective specialized advice in a broad range of human resources, financial, logistical, and administrative areas to senior management team and other senior mission personnel;
- Strong negotiation and conflict-resolution skills;
- Prepared to work in a highly pressurized and sometimes hazardous environment.
- Delivers outputs within prescribed time, cost and quality standards;
- Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority;
- Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member;
- Ability to ensure adequate preparation of reports or rationale with respect to key logistic and administrative decisions
- Computer literate and well versed in the use of the Internet, Power Point, Excel and Word;
- Ability to work in a multicultural and emergency setting;
KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING
- Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Demonstrable experience managing and heading complex operations is required.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in managing operations in emergency environment.
7. LANGUAGE REQUIREMENT
Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is mandatory, for this position fluency in English language is encouraged. Knowledge of one or several other working languages would be an added advantage.
8. GENDER MAINSTREAMING
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
9. TENURE OF APPOINTMENT
The appointment shall be for an initial period of one (1) year, the first three (3) months of which shall be on probation. It shall be renewable subject to performance and availability of funds.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 197,353.31 inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 185,748.06 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be made through the AUC E-recruitment Website http://www.aucareers.org not later than 13 December 2014.
ALL APPLICANTS WHO ALREADY APPLIED FOR THIS POSITION SHOULD NOT APPLY AGAIN
- 23 Nov 2015Project Management Specialist (Somalia-FFP) – USAID 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational center trainer (midwifery) 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Vocational training center manager 2 Comments
- 14 Nov 2015Psychosocial Counselor – ARC 2 Comments
- 23 Nov 2015Pharmacist (1 position)- Somali Aid 1 Comment
- 19 Nov 2015TRAINING AND BEST PRACTICES FOR NEW ENTREPRENEURS – INTERSOS 1 Comment
- 19 Nov 2015Consultancy on: Vocational training Entrepreneurship Course – INTERSOS 1 Comment
- 19 Nov 2015SEASONAL PROJECTS/COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER – Mercy-USA 1 Comment
- 21 Nov 2015Consultant for undertaking the Local Labour Market Survey 1 Comment
- 22 Nov 2015Consultancy for the training on Conflict Mediation and Resolution for districts, villages and the Gurti in Bakool Region 1 Comment